Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'M ON FIRE!

Iran's Exiles

This article follows the story of one Iranian protester, Negar Azizmoradi. Negar is a movie editor who was beaten while protesting the Iranian election last July. She's been on the run from a suspected retaliation from Iranian police since, spending time as a refugee in Turkey, and an illegal immigrant in Africa. The story also makes a brief mention of another subject, Heydari, but the author's comment on Heydari is brief. He does mention that he only read about the Heydari story, while Negar contacted him. The author leans heavily in favor of the protesters toppling the current entrenched government.

The modern common sense of things: Ordering off the kids’ menu… for the rest of your life

I'm a regular reader of Karen! Garcia's op-ed, The Modern Common Sense of Things. Although I don't always agree with her, I do identify with her sense of humor, and think she's one of the top Kaimin writers. This article is ridiculous. It's Garcia describing how she'd rather eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches until she dies than branch out epicurean wise. Funny though.

Mr. President, Keep the Airwaves Free

Wow, I loved this Rush Limbaugh article. I wanted to read something really conservative, and I instantly thought of Rush. Then I saw he wrote an article about broadcast fairness, and I was hooked. As a broadcast major, I felt dumbfounded at some of Limbaugh's claims throughout this article. I dare say I was almost personally offended. Awesome! I won't go into it too much, but basically Rush blames Obama for the FCC radio regulations created by the FRC (Federal Radio Commission, pre FCC)in the 1920's. Also, Limbaugh (not McLendon) popularized talk radio in the eighties (not Mclendon in the sixties) and thus saved AM radio. Again , Gordon McLendon, father of top 40, talk, and news formats did not actually invent and popularize talk radio. It was Limbaugh. I want to write a conservative op ed like this. I think it may turn into satire, but it'll be a fun project. I think the trick is to drop enough actual facts to make your narrative seem almost plausible.

No comments:

Post a Comment